Yesterday, we told you about essential information regarding leave balances and requesting time off in Workday. Today, we’ll look at the closely related area of timekeeping.
Reminder: Medical Center will continue to use Kronos for time entry.
Where to look in Workday?
- Manager’s view: Use the Time and Absence app
- Non-exempt individuals entering time worked: Use the Time app
- Exempt and non-exempt individuals requesting time off: Use the Absence app
Time-related notifications for non-exempt individuals
Because entering time is required for non-exempt individuals, special notifications will be sent from Workday:
- Weekly – All non-exempt individuals (regular, student, wage, temp) will receive a generic reminder to enter time every Friday at noon.
- Once per pay period – Regular non-exempt individuals who are short on time entry (based on scheduled hours) will receive a customized notification on any affected payroll Monday at 9:00 a.m.
Special roles and permissions in Workday
Time Reporting Support Role – This role has been created in Workday to facilitate workflow by providing certain non-managers with access to time-tracking reporting.
- Time Reporting Support role holders will be able to run the same time reports as managers:
- No Time Entered
- Time Entered But Not Submitted
- Time Submitted But Not Approved
- My Team’s Upcoming Time Off
- UVA Hours Short
- UVA Critical Timesheet Errors
- UVA Time and Time Off by Supervisory Orgs with Date Range
- Time Off Results Detail (to view employees’ "Use or Lose" time)
- They will not be able to enter, submit, or approve time on behalf of another employee.
Manager Delegation – Workday allows Managers to delegate time-related actions and approvals to an appropriate individual.
- Delegates will have the ability to enter, submit, and approve time on behalf of another employee if the Manager includes those responsibilities during the delegation process.
- Reports cannot be delegated.
- New calendar view for time entry
- University holidays are pre-populated in calendars
- Absence (time off/leave) requests will be entered in Workday
- No paper timecards; retro time entered directly into Workday
- Mobile accessibility for time entry, approval, and time-off requests
What’s staying the same?
- Payroll calendars and pay dates
- Pay period cutoffs (assignments, hires, LD, time entry/approval)
- Leave accrual calculations
- Exempt employees will continue to enter only their absences
- If you currently use Kronos for time entry (Medical Center), you will continue to do so
Check back for more Spotlight features in the coming days and weeks, covering more essential aspects of Workday.
Be sure to visit and browse the training website
A variety of resources are available on the training website to help you transition to Workday with confidence. New courses and training materials will be added frequently.